Monday, June 23, 2008

Maze

My current UWP 101 class is applying a different style of homework that I did not expect in UC Davis. If I were in some private college that emphasizes in technology or art, then maybe I would expect such a fresh idea. This out of the box type class might become a challenge and it might also be fun. The problem that I might face in the on-coming six weeks will be the following: I have never written a blog before, and the consistency of keeping up with posts four times a week.
Today I went into the bookstore after class to buy the required book, New Keyword. It was a maze down there if you do not know where the book is. I went into a dead end 3 times before I saw that all the roads going around the info desk (clockwise) were blocked. I went backwards and found the UWP/ENG section. I looked from top shelf to the bottom shelf on the UWP section before I read the sign that says "Summer Session UWP books to your right ==>". I followed the arrows to a few shelves over just to look through all the titles two or three times before I found a copy.
I think I can consider myself blind. Firstly, the roads were blocked but I still walked all the way to the multiple dead ends before I realized that all the trails were blocked. Secondly, I didn't notice the "follow the arrow" sign for a few minutes even if it was right in front of me. Lastly, I couldn't find the book until I looked through the collections a couple of times.

4 comments:

Arisa said...

Ya, me too. It's really my first time using blog, and I even haven't used any site similar to this either. Hope that we'll get used to it!

Christopher Schaberg said...

Keep in mind: I'm new to blogs, too! But really, let's just think of it as a change in format: we're simply using blogs instead of the pens and notebooks or typed and printed 'papers' that we are used to. You are not the only one who had to navigate the "maze" of the bookstore! I like how you graphically rendered the sign pointing the way—I can imagine you linking to (or embedding) an image of a crazy arrow sign or something. Yes, this class it a little more "technology or art" focused; but we'll still practice clear, focused writing techniques.

Colleen said...

Just thought I should give you a few tips since you brought a few typos to my attention on my page. Thank you for doing so, by the way. When I write something I seem to overlook the mistakes no matter how many times I reread the piece.

Anyway, you stated, "If I was in some private college..." This is the subjunctive tense, so it should be "If I were in some private college..." I know it's nit-picky, but it's a pet peeve of mine. Also you did not capitalize the word "I." This is a very common thing to do because of the format, but I think that it will help make your writing look more professional if you correct it.

Colleen said...

Sorry, I just saw that you also wrote "shelfs" in place of "shelves."